Wednesday, May 02, 2007

The Wasp - An Allegory of Registered Sex Offenders in the U.S.

The Wasp - An Allegory of Registered Sex Offenders in the U.S.

Terry Brown

April 25, 2007


I just came in from cleaning the pool. While I was doing so a wasp flew around looking for a drink. He was minding his own business just going about his daily activities trying to survive and not bothering anyone.

Immediately I became irritated by his mere presence. Unknowingly, he carried on his back a reputation created by those few wasps of the millions in our airways who have stung a fellow human. Immediately, instinctively I wanted to stop him before he had the opportunity to inflict that same pain upon me. In my mind his mere presence represented a threat to me.

I used the long reach of my skimmer pole to cast a net over him and force him below the water. As I held him there, basking in the glory of my ability to control my own destiny by ridding the world of one more threat, I noticed several of his brethren flying around also seeking a cool and refreshing beverage. After several minutes I decided he must be dead, and even if he wasn’t it was sort of pointless as there were simply too many of them to kill them all. I pulled the skimmer up and laid it on the deck of the pool in its usual spot.

I then laid on my chaise lounge to soak up some rays and enjoy the relaxation of the music. I didn’t give that insignificant wasp a second thought.

Just when I started to doze into unconsciousness I felt a sharp pain on my foot and looked down to find a dripping wet wasp walking around with his wings raised as if in a fighting posture. This wasp had just stung me!

I said to myself, “hmmm, guess I asked for that.”


I noted this link a few days ago (I've been busy). It looks like he has more to say and I'll be checking that out, but this piece leaves me wondering. We've been quite busy "tightening up," "getting tougher," and exercising a whole lot of other euphemisms for beating up on ex-cons of the registered sex offender variety. When will things come to the breaking point, when will one say "enough is enough" and give in to the temptation to engage in some major "resistance"?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home