Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Never EVER Trust the Press!!

This wouldn't be the first time I've seen the news media twist a story by leaving out or "modifying" details (I've seen worse from the news media), but it seems I've been taken in again.

The exclusion from shelters appears to apply to those sex offenders under supervision (probation), with "no contact with children" orders. Okay, when under supervision different rules can apply.

It still looks more like politicians tring to make a name for themselves with "easy issues", issues that look good at first glance but don't really do anything but waste money.

I don't know about conditions in these shelters. I am guessing they tend to be crowded, with really no opportunity for a sex offender to pull anything. If this is the case, then this law is going to be a waste of money.

The problem is that there are costs and risks to sheltering a sex offender in a prison. You've got to do a thorough search on admitting him. You've got to run the paperwork to admit him, and it has to be good enough to make sure you're not releasing the wrong guy when you let him out. If it gets fouled up and he gets held over for days, weeks or months, presumably the only cost is that of incarcerating him (somewhere I saw a number once, something like $50 - $100/day), as his employer would know he's on probation and likely cut him slack.

Like I said, I am guessing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home